1. Purpose of the Study: The purpose of this research is to better understand the experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer (LGBTQ) or same-sex attracted (SSA) individuals and Mormon or ex-Mormon parents of LGBTQ/SSA people. Specifically, we are interested in better understanding how religiosity and family ties interact in predicting behavior toward and acceptance of LGBTQ/SSA individuals.
2. Procedures to be followed: You will be asked to take an online survey. The survey will include several different questionnaires including questions about your religious beliefs and your attitudes toward homosexuality and family.
3. Risks: You will be taking a survey that asks questions about your religiosity, relationships with your family members, and the experiences you have had regarding your Mormon faith and either your child’s your sexual orientation or your own sexual orientation. There is a chance that those questions might make you uncomfortable.
4. Benefits: You might learn more about yourself by participating in this study. You might also learn more about the experiences of LGBTQ individuals, about your faith experience, and/or about being a parent of an LGBTQ individual.
5. Duration/Time: It will take you about 20-30 minutes to complete this study.
6. Statement of Confidentiality: Your participation in this research is confidential. The survey does not ask for any information that would identify who the responses belong to. In the event of any publication or presentation resulting from the research, no personally identifiable information will be shared because your name is in no way linked to your responses. Your confidentiality will be kept to the degree permitted by the technology used. No guarantees can be made regarding the interception of data sent via the Internet by any third parties.
7. Voluntary Participation: Your decision to be in this research is voluntary. You can stop at any time. You do not have to answer any questions you do not want to answer. Refusal to take part in or withdrawing from this study will involve no penalty or loss of benefits you would receive otherwise.
8. Right to ask Questions: Please contact Dr. Charlie Law at 570-385-6064 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, complaints or concerns about this research. You can also call this number if you feel this study has harmed you. If you have any questions, concerns, problems about your rights as a research participant or would like to offer input, please contact The Pennsylvania State University’s Office for Research Protections (ORP) at (814) 865-1775. The ORP cannot answer questions about research procedures. All questions about research procedures can only be answered by the research team.
9. Payment for Participation: Everyone who completes the study will be entered into a pool from which four names will be randomly chosen for a chance to win a $50 gift card to Amazon.com.
10. Access to Data Records: The Pennsylvania State University’s Office for Research Protections, the Institutional Review Board and the Office for Human Research Protections in the Department of Health and Human Services may review records related to this research study. In the event of a publication or presentation resulting from the research, no personally identifiable information will be shared.
Your completion of the questionnaires implies your consent to participate in this research. You should print a copy of this form for your records.